The World History Center seeks proposals from graduate students at the University of Pittsburgh who wish to organize and host a Graduate Student Symposium in the Spring or early Summer of 2018. The WHC will provide up to $10,000 in funding and offer Center resources and staff to assist with planning and logistics. The symposium must be world historical in scope: it must explore transregional or global human connections. We welcome proposals for events of a variety of formats, including roundtable discussions, workshops, and other creative approaches to academic discussion. All proposals must include the following:
- A two-paragraph intellectual justification that clearly articulates why the event is significant, what makes it world-historical, and what the expected impact will be.
- A one-page work plan that proposes a range of possible dates for the event as well as dates for planning benchmarks leading up to the event itself.
- A tentative schedule of activities including names of proposed featured speakers, groups, or events.
- A reasonable and well-conceived one-page budget that projects costs for all expense categories including facilities, transportation, lodging, professional services, food, and a brief justification for each estimated expense
- A planning committee that consists of at least three, but no more than five, graduate students (at least two of whom must be from the Department of History)
- A one-paragraph plan for outreach that includes a description of the target audience for the event and a plan for how to attract participants
The World History Center leadership and staff will evaluate proposals based on the intellectual significance of the symposium, the soundness of the work plan and budget, the viability of the schedule, and the effectiveness in identifying the target audience. Proposed budgets that exceed the $10,000 limit must include supplementary documentation that identifies additional funding sources.
Proposals are due by January 15th and can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.